Romania foreign ministry target of ‘surgical’ cyberattack Romanian Maj. Razvan Zlataru, left, 48th Signal Regiment, makes a loop-back test here May 12 on a video teleconference system in preparation for exercise Combined Endeavor 2005. Combined Endeavor, May 13-26, is a U.S. European command-sponsored exercise, designed to identify and document command, control, communications and computer interoperability between NATO and Partnership for Peace nations. Representatives from 43 countries and NATO are taking part in the exercise. (U.S. Air Force photo by TSgt Andrew Rodier) BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — A Romanian cyber intelligence official has confirmed the foreign ministry had been the target of a “surgical, targeted, specialized” cyberattack likely orchestrated by another country. Anton Rog, who heads the government’s Cyberint center, called the attack “an advanced persistent threat,” adding “normally, behind these kinds of attacks is another state.” He said a cyberattack of this nature “costs millions of dollars, even hundreds of millions of dollars.” Rog said Wednesday that the attack was intercepted and “resolved.” He declined to speculate who attacked ministry employees on Friday with an email pretending to be from a NATO official. “It is very, very hard, even impossible,” to identify the attacker, because the attacker could impersonate another state.